WHAT?! Healthy Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese that is 21 Day Fix approved? I have lots of butternut squash from the garden this year and my husband isn’t a big fan, so I was looking for a new recipe. I tried a butternut squash/mac & cheese recipe last year and I wasn’t impressed but when I saw this recipe and that you boil the squash and then blend it in a blender, I knew the sauce would be creamy and not stringy. I made this today – it didn’t take long at all, and it was so good! Plus, there’s not a lot of high-fat dairy cheese, so with the butternut squash it’s really healthy. You can even use whole-grain noodles to make it even healthier.
- Small butternut squash (about 4-5 cups)
- 5 c. chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 Onion, saute in 1 T. Butter
- 2 c. of uncooked Noodles – your choice, I used Medium Shells
- 3/4 c. milk
- 1 tsp. salt
- Shredded cheese, 1/2 c. (Confession: I used 1 cup)
- Cook the macaroni – drain & just set it to the side.
- Saute the onion in butter for about 20 minutes – long enough to be golden.
- Remove the skin from the squash – I simply used a vegetable peeler. Remove the seeds as well (you can save those to roast later!). Cut into cubes – mine were about 1″ cubes. Start the broth to boiling and add the squash. Cook about 7 minutes or until tender. Drain but save 1/2 cup of the broth.
- Place squash, reserved broth, milk, & salt to the blender. You can add the onion too, but I prefer to keep the onion separate. Blend until smooth.
- Pour the lovely sauce over the noodles – stir all together and pour into a baking dish. Cover with cheese.
- Bake until heated through. You can bake at 350, but I used the broil setting at 400.
Trust me, if you think you don’t like butternut squash – this is SO good! I actually thought it would be too difficult to make so put it off for awhile, but I’m glad I finally made it. It really is good.