Slow cooker quinoa, sweet potato & black bean chili
Stay healthy on the FIX while keeping your time in the kitchen to a minimum. I made this vegetarian chili with quinoa for our New Year’s Eve guests and it was a hit! It really is SO good – I ate leftovers every day for work last week. Okay, that was a bit much and I would recommend rotating it with another healthy lunch choice, but it really was good. Even my husband liked it!
This recipe is super easy, super thrifty and Super delightful! Thanks to Superfood QUINOA!
Here’s how I do it: Mix everything together and cook in the crock pot on low for about 8 hours. VOILA!
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled & diced
- 2 cans of black beans (no salt and rinse them)
- 1, 28 oz can of tomatoes (or 2 pint jars if you can your own)
- 1/2 cup of quinoa, rinse in cold water (if you don’t rinse it, apparently it will taste bitter)
- 1 onion, diced – you can also add one diced green bell pepper, although I didn’t
- 2 c. veggie broth (or chicken broth)
- 2 T. cocoa powder
- 1 T. chili powder
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. paprika (smoked or regular)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt & pepper
When serving, use any chili toppings you like such as sour cream and green onions.
You’ve likely heard alot about quinoa and how good it is for you. I had heard of it, but I had never cooked with it, even though I knew that it was good for me. While I knew it was good for me, I didn’t know much else about it.
A few quick facts:
- Quinoa has alot of protein. If you’re following the 21 Day Fix, quinoa is still classified as a carb.
- It has nearly twice the amount of fiber as other grains – or seeds. Quinoa is technically a seed of the goosefoot plant. I’ve also read that it’s a seed of the lambsquarter plant – which grows in our area, and I’ve even used in smoothies. So, next spring, I will try an experiment and see if I can harvest my own wild quinoa! I better do a little more research:)
- It contains lysine, which is good for tissue growth and repair. Perfect if you’re working out and lifting weights!
- It contains iron.