You’ve likely heard alot about quinoa and how good it is for you. I had heard of it, but I had never cooked with it, even though I knew that it was good for me. While I knew it was good for me, I didn’t know much else about it.
A few quick facts:
- Quinoa has alot of protein. If you’re following the 21 Day Fix, quinoa is still classified as a carb.
- It has nearly twice the amount of fiber as other grains – or seeds. Quinoa is technically a seed of the goosefoot plant. I’ve also read that it’s a seed of the lambsquarter plant – which grows in our area, and I’ve even used in smoothies. So, next spring, I will try an experiment and see if I can harvest my own wild quinoa! I better do a little more research:)
- It contains lysine, which is good for tissue growth and repair. Perfect if you’re working out and lifting weights!
- It contains iron.
This recipe is super easy, super thrifty and Super delightful! Thanks to Superfood QUINOA!
Here’s how I do it:
Assemble ingredients & throw in the CrockPot – easy as that! 🙂
- 1 can of black beans, rinsed
- 1 can of whole kernel corn (you could also use frozen)
- 1 can of enchilada sauce (in my photo, I used tomato sauce + the mix)
- 1 cup of quinoa (rinsed)
- 1 can of tomatoes with extras (I used the kind with green chiles in it but whatever you prefer)
- Throw it all in your slowcooker. Mix it up. Add 2 cups of shredded cheese (I used the kind with cream cheese in it but that’s totally optional). Mix it all up again.
- I only needed to cook it 3 hours on high and it was ready. Typically 8 hours on low, but honestly it probably won’t take that long.
I like to keep my recipes simple and versatile. If you have fresh herbs such as cilantro or parsley, add a handful. If you have lime juice and avocado, certainly serve this dish with those accompaniments.
Slow cooker quinoa, sweet potato & black bean chili
Stay healthy on the FIX while keeping your time in the kitchen to a minimum. I made this vegetarian chili for our New Year’s Eve guests and it was a hit! It really is SO good – I ate leftovers every day for work last week. Okay, that was a bit much and I would recommend rotating it with another healthy lunch choice, but it really was good. Even my husband liked it!
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled & diced
- 2 cans of black beans (no salt and rinse them)
- 1, 28 oz can of tomatoes (or 2 pint jars if you can your own)
- 1/2 cup of quinoa, rinse in cold water (if you don’t rinse it, apparently it will taste bitter)
- 1 onion, diced – you can also add one diced green bell pepper, although I didn’t
- 2 c. veggie broth (or chicken broth)
- 2 T. cocoa powder
- 1 T. chili powder
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. paprika (smoked or regular)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt & pepper
Mix everything together and cook in the crock pot on low for about 8 hours. VOILA!
When serving, use any chili toppings you like such as sour cream and green onions.