Chug-a-lug your water – we hear it all the time don’t we? Of course, we have the best of intentions and we know hydration is so important for so many reasons. Who wouldn’t want to drink more water? The benefits of staying hydrated far outweigh any inconvenience.
- Cleans out toxins from your body = clearer skin
- Improved digestion by keeping everything moving along
- Lubricates your joints
- Can help with weight loss – makes you feel full, so you eat less:)
- It is said to help improve your mood, because even mild dehydration can affect your spirits.
- Relieves headaches. This is a big one for me, especially when traveling because then I often don’t drink enough water and it results in pretty bad headaches.
- Gives you energy! Next time you think you need another cup of coffee, try water instead & see what happens!
- Improves your focus & memory – both of which dehydration rob us of.
Top 5 tricks to drink more water throughout the day
- Make it a habit. I always start the day with a cup of hot water with a slice of lemon. It’s my rule – I can’t get the day started without it. Plus, warm water with lemon is said to get your digestion going and kick those toxins out of your body:)
- Make it a habit – I know, habits (the good ones) are important. If you’re a coffee drinker, you know that coffee acts as a diuretic and can contribute to dehydration. So, another little rule I have – before I get to have that second cup of coffee, I have to drink a cup of water first. By then, I usually don’t finish the second cup of coffee, so it’s a good little trick!
- Prepare your water bottles and fill them with water in the morning. Keep them with you throughout the day and make it your goal to finish your water. Aim to have a certain amount finished by a certain time. I’ve seen water bottles where the time has been marked on them – so your goal can be easily seen right on the bottle. 30 ounces by noon? Boom – it’s right there, no kidding yourself or overestimating how much you really drink.
- Invest in a water bottle you really like. I hope this doesn’t sound shallow but I bought a really nice water bottle, stainless steel & insulated, in a shiny purple color with a crisp white lid and I love it! I don’t leave home without it! It keeps my water cold no matter when I drink it.
- Reward yourself. Keep a record of how many days you achieve your water intake goal. If you meet your goal, reward yourself with a new water bottle:)